In 1806 and 1807 several families, most of whom were of Scotch-Irish descent, members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and opposed to slavery, left South Carolina and came to Israel Township. They named their church Hopewell in honor of their church in South Carolina. Their first building was built in 1808 and was of logs. The present brick building was completed in 1827 by means of 116 families pledging a total of $1,100.
In 1964 an interdenominational organization, Historic Hopewell, was incorporated. The plan was to offer a place of worship to vacationers at Hueston Woods State Park. A Preble County, Ohio landmark.
All photos on this website are and will remain the property of DestinationPreble.com.